Effective: April 2022
Tuksnovation (“we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to establishing a corporate culture that recognises the right to privacy by maintaining good relationships with community members: client ventures, aspiring and existing entrepreneurs, the broader ecosystem stakeholders, and anyone who freely wishes to be part of our community.
Part of our day-to-day operations and engagement with our community will include Processing of Personal Information. Data protection and privacy of our community members are important to us, therefore we are aligned with POPIA and any relevant legislation that imposes legal obligations on us.
WHO ARE WE
TuksNovation is a technology business incubator that provides specialised product and business development support to startups.
Through partnerships TuksNovation provides an ecosystem for corporates and to support new and upcoming start-ups. TuksNovation collaborates with student entrepreneurial challenges and events to give students the opportunity to engage with the start-up community.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The Personal Information we collect includes;
- information you knowingly and actively provide us when you contact us or sign up on our website;
- information collected at physical networking events;
- information you send when you contact us through the website, social media and any similar technology;
- when you participate in any of our services; and
- any information automatically sent by your devices in the course of accessing our website (through cookies).
This Personal Information may include one or more the following:
- Preferred contact number;
- Venture details;
- Venture activity description; and
- Team details.
TECHNOLOGIES THAT COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We make use of a number of technologies that collect Personal Information:
Cookies: Cookies are small files that are saved onto your computer, which track, save and store information about how you use this website. In some instances, these cookies are needed for the website to function. You can disable them in your browser, but this may interfere with the proper functioning of the website.
Log Data: When you visit our website, our servers may automatically log the standard data provided by your web browser. It may include your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and version, the pages you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on each page, other details about your visit, and technical details that occur in conjunction with any errors you may encounter.
Google analytics: This is tracking software from Google, which we use to monitor how users interact with the website, in order for us to improve its functionality and content.
Some of the third party platforms we may use are as follows:
- Google Forms;
- Google Workspace;
- Google Meet;
WHAT WE DO WITH YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only use your Personal Information in order to:
- Supply the services you have requested and correspond with you;
- Provide support to you in respect of these services;
- Improve our Site and services;
- For our internal business processes, including providing support to our staff,
- process your application for the incubation programme, where relevant;
- share informational or promotional communications directly via email, sms, mobile or telephone and social media or similar technology, where you have explicitly consented at the time we collected your Personal Information or where we otherwise have a right to do so.
We only Process your Personal Information when we have a legitimate reason for doing so. In which instance, we only collect Personal Information that is reasonably necessary to provide our services to you. We agree to use your information solely to perform our duties on your behalf.
We undertake not to use your Personal Information for any unlawful purpose, but we may release your information when we believe the release is appropriate to comply with the law or enforce our policies or to protect our rights.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We have taken steps to protect your Personal Information from unauthorised access and against unlawful Processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
We will only keep your Personal Information for as long as reasonably required, and for as long as POPIA and other applicable legislation allows.
Although we will do our best to protect your Personal Information, we advise that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure, and no one can guarantee absolute data security. We will comply with laws and regulations applicable to us in respect of any data breach.
STEPS WE TAKE IN CASE OF A DATA BREACH
In the event of a data breach; the following steps are followed:
- Get confirmation of the breach and whether your information was exposed;
- Find out what type of data was stolen or ;
- Change and strengthen our online logins, passwords and security.
- Make sure all website themes and plugins are up to date.
- Inform all affected clients.
YOUR RIGHTS IN RELATION TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have a right to:
- request details of any Personal Information we hold about you;
- withdraw your consent to be part of our community if you had consented thereof;
- ask us not to process your Personal Information for marketing purposes;
- request an amendment to your Personal Information, if you believe that any information we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant, or misleading
If your Personal Information is no longer required, we will delete it or make it anonymous by removing all details that identify you.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
We may your disclose Personal Information to:
- our employees, contractors, and/or related entities solely to provide our services to you; and
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities, and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights.
THIRD PARTY PLATFORMS
Our website may, from time to time, contain links to and from third party websites and platforms. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy notices or policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these websites or their related notices or policies. Please check these notices and policies before you submit any Personal Information via these links and platforms.
Furthermore, note that we do not control what data they collect nor how they store or use that data.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Should you have any queries or complaints in relation to how we use your Personal Information, please contact us.
The contact details are as follows:
The Information Officer
University of Pretoria,
Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, Pretoria
Should you wish to take any complaints or queries further, you have the right to contact the Information Regulator regarding such issues at:
JD House, P.O.Box 31533
27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein
POPIA Complaint: POPIAComplaints@inforegulator.org.za
PAIA Complaint: PAIAComplaints@inforegulator.org.za